1/5 Photos of Cornmeal-Oatmeal Cranberry-Orange Loaf
1 hr 15 mins
My husband, being a true Texan, loves cornbread almost as much as he loves me. I was not a great cornbread baker, so I bought The Cornbread Gospels by Crescent Dragonwagon to learn how to make his tummy happy, and what a great book that turned out to be. Every form and fashion of cornbread you can imagine, and (almost) all good. This recipe is from that book, and has earned rave reviews everywhere I have taken it. It's beautiful, and the essences of orange and cranberry combined with the crunchiness of stone ground cornmeal sets it apart from other quick breads, and it will leaving you wanting more. I hope you like it as well as we do.
My Private Note
large l ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 finely grated oranges, zest of
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 4 tablespoons walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1Preheat the oven to 350. Coat 1 large, 2 medium, or 3 small loaf pans with oil.
- 2Soft the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt into a large bowl.
- 3Whisk together the eggs, oil, buttermilk, and orange zest in a second, smaller bowl.
- 4In a food processor, pulse the cranberries a few times until they are roughly chopped. Combine the mix-ins--the cranberries, walnuts, and oatmeal--in a third bowl. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the flour mixture over them, and toss well.
- 5Quickly combine the flour mixture and the egg mixture, using as few strokes as possible. Gently stir in the mix-ins. The batter should be stiff. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan(s). Bake for 45 to 55 minutes for the large pan, 35 to 50 minutes for the mediums, and 35 to 40 minutes for the smalls. Check two-thirds of the way through the baking period; if the loaves are browning excessively, tent them loosely with foil.
- 6Let the baked breads cool for 10 minutes in the pan(s), run a thin knife around the edge of each pan, and turn the loaves out. Let finish cooling on a rack.
- 7NOTE: When using cirtrus zest, try your best to get organic fruit, because it is free of the waxes and fungicides that are routinely sprayed on conventionally grown citrus fruit peels.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cornmeal-Oatmeal Cranberry-Orange Loaf
Serving Size: 1 (79 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 285.8
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 47.1 mg
- Sodium 121.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 20.2 g
- Protein 5.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of