Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
The name is self explanitory.............I remember having this as a kid, good stuff
Make and share this Cornmeal Mush recipe from Food.com.
- Mix cold water and corn meal.
- Stir into boiling water and salt.
- Cook, stirring, until it boils; cover and cook over boiling water in double boiler 30 minutes or cook on slow fire, uncovered.
- Pack into greased metal can or mold.
- Cover with plastic and chill overnight or until firm.
- Slice 1/2 inch thick and brown in skillet.
- Serve with butter and syrup.
My husband and brother love this. They want it fried in butter with a little oil and eat it as fried bread. In case the mush doesn't get firm, I fry it as pancakes. I never use flour and have never had to use a double boiler. Thanks for posting. There is a recipe for cornmeal mush on the back of Quaker cornmeal which also works well.
I made this for breakfast this morning. It was so creamy and delicious! I added some butter and honey. It easily made 4 servings. I have some left over that I mixed with parmesan cheese, garlic and parsley that I'm going to fry up for dinner. Thanks for the great technique.
My grandpa used to make this for us when I was young. We dip it in flour before frying it in a skillet.