Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I don't like my cornmeal muffins to be really crunchy, so I warmed up the milk and let the cornmeal soak. I ended up with a muffin that's crispy on the outside and just the right texture on the inside. These tasted just like the ones I first made in home ec. class. If you like the idea of cornmeal muffins but not the texture (gritty) these are for you. They are for us.
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk (warmed)
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1⁄4 cup butter (melted)
- Mix cornmeal and warmed milk, let sit for 10 minutes.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- Add egg and butter to cornmeal mixture, mixing well.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until just mixed. (do not overmix).
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes at 400°F.
Wonderful! I was a little worried because my batter seemed exceptionally runny. But, the finished product was exactly as described - crispy on the outside & moist & creamy tasting on the inside!
Fabulous corn muffins! The batter was so thin I wasn't sure how they would bake up, but they turned out fine. I used whole wheat pastry flour instead of all purpose, but that was my only change.