Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
these pancakes are soft and delicate with just a hint of the molasses flavor..these resemble an etheral cornbread in the shape of a puffy flat cake. serve them Missouri style, with maple syrup and crisp bacon
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses
- 1 teaspoon dark molasses
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, buttermilk, molasses and melted butter.
- add the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- add the cornmeal last, stirring just until combined; the batter will be slightly lumpy.
- drop by tablespoons ful on a hot greased griddle until bubbles form around the outer edges.
- turn and brown on the other side --
- serve with butter and sorghum molasses or maple syrup.
Wonderful pancakes! I love cornbread served with syrup, so I knew I would love cornmeal pancakes. I'm really liking molasses right now, so that aspect also appealed to me. I love the texture and flavor of these pancakes. I added some cinnamon and ground cloves, which I knew would go great with the molasses. Delicious!
Great recipe. I am a Food Network junkie and recently saw a Diners, Drive-ins and Dives episode where Guy tried cornmeal pancakes. He commented how great they were, moist on inside but with the crunch of the cornmeal. When I saw this recipe I had to try it...I love molasses. Followed the recipe exactly and they are verrrrrrrry tasty. Thanks so much Grandma, these will go in the regular rotation.
Man, is this good! Never had a cornmeal pancake and wanted to try them today for something different... And this is a great recipe... I got 7 regular sized pancakes and about 7 silver dollar pancakes out of this... so the kids got hand held models. Both kids and adults loved these. I had to sour milk by adding a couple T lemon juice to a shy measure of the milk, but other than that followed the recipe. Might add a touch more molasses next time, just cause I love the flavor, but these were fantastic as is... nice and crisp on the edges from the cornmeal and tender inside. Thanks for sharing your recipe!