Recipe by BothFex
A recipe adapted from a famous, anal retentive, control freak, home making guru (she irons her sheets for goodness sake) and as such, is overly complicated yet... yields delicious results. A different kind of cookie that offers a wonderful finish to a Mexican meal/dinner party.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 teaspoons lime zest (roughly 6 limes)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (roughly 6 limes)
- 2 teaspoons orange zest (roughly 2 oranges)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla or 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup yeallow cornmeal, plus more for coating glass
- 3 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 8 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons lime zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter and sugar 3-4 minutes.
- Add egg and beat until JUST combined.
- Add zests, lime juice and extract.
- Add flour and cornmeal and mix until well blended.
- Cover with waxed paper or plastic wrap.
- Form into a disc (why? Beats me) and chill, at least, 1 hour.
- Roll heaping teaspoons of dough into balls and place on baking stones (or lined baking sheets) 3" apart.
- Dip bottom of a medium drinking glass into a bowl filled with the cornmeal and flatten balls with the bottom of the glass until dough is 1/4" thick.
- Bake cookies at 350 until golden brown around the edges, about 14-16 minutes.
- When cookies cool pour lime glaze (mix ingredients together) over them.
- Let glaze set.