1 hr 27 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Tom Douglas; dad and husband favorite
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Lemon Tartar Sauce
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup peanut oil or 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped drained capers
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped red onions
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped dill pickles
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle juice, from the jar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (to taste)
Spicy Cornmeal Flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 4 1/2 teaspoons cayenne
- 4 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 dozen pacific oysters, scubbed, rinsed, and shucked
- 4 pieces French bread, cut into 6-to 8-inch sandwich lengths
- butter lettuce leaf
- peanut oil, for frying
- 1Tartar sauce: Add egg yolk, mustard, and lemon juice to a food processor or blender; pulse to combine.
- 2With the processor running, slowly add the oil in a steady stream; the mixture will become thick and emulsified.
- 3Add in the capers, onions, pickles, pickle juice, parsley, lemon zest, and Tabasco; pulse to combine.
- 4Transfer to a small bowl and set aside, refrigerated.
- 5Cornmeal Flour: combine the flour, cornmeal, and seasonings; set aside.
- 6Panfry the oysters: dredge oysters in the seasoned cornmeal flour (you can leave them in the bowl of flour until you are ready to panfry them.
- 7Shake off any excess flour just before frying.
- 8Set up your sandwiches so they can be assembled as soon as the oysters are fried.
- 9Split the French bread rolls lengthwise.
- 10For each sandwich, spread the tartar sauce generously on both sides of the bread; line the top half of the roll with lettuce leaves.
- 11You will need to use a large nonstick saute pan; cover the bottom of saute pan with a thin layer (1/8 inch) of peanut oil.
- 12Over high heat, heat the oil until very hot.
- 13Fry the oysters in the hot oil on both sides until golden brown and firmed up, about 4 minutes total.
- 14Drain the oysters on paper towels.
- 15Place 6 fried oysters on the bottom half of each roll; put the lettuce-line half on top to make a sandwich; serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cornmeal-Fried Oyster Sandwich With Lemon Tartar Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (478 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1057.6
- Calories from Fat 433
- Total Fat 48.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 202.4 mg
- Sodium 2627.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 112.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 43.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sweet pickle juice