Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bay leaf powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 1⁄2 lbs fish fillets
- 1⁄2 cup grapeseed oil or 1⁄2 cup peanut oil, for frying (approximately)
- 3 tablespoons minced green onions, for garnish
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, zest of, for garnish
- lemon wedge, for accompaniment
- bottled tartar sauce, for accompaniment
- Stir together flour, cornmeal, cayenne pepper, black pepper, bay leaves and salt.
- Place dry ingredients on a plate or sheet of waxed paper.
- Dip fish in flour mixture, shaking off excess.
- Transfer floured fillets to a clean plate.
- In a large, heavy skillet or two medium-sized skillets, heat the oil over moderate heat.
- Fry fish, turning once, until golden on both sides.
- Transfer fried fish to paper towels to drain briefly.
- Garnish with a sprinkling of green onion and lemon zest, and serve immediately with lemon wedges and tartar sauce.