Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Princess Pamela's Soul Food Cookbook, putting here for safe keeping.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup sour milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg, beaten
- Prepare dumplings while turnip greens are cooking.
- Slowly stir cornmeal and salt into boiling water.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes, remove from heat and let cool.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder.
- Dissolve baking soda into sour milk.
- Alternately add flour and milk to cornmeal.
- Then add the egg and beat the mixture for 1 minute.
- Drop by spoonfuls on top of turnip greens. Cover and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- To serve remove dumplings with slotted spoon to a deep serving platter. Drain the greens and arrange on serving platter. Pour the pot likker over the dumplings. Enjoy.