Recipe by grandma2969
this is a very good crunchy cookie
Top Review by nott
A very good recipe for a cookie with a delicate crunch. I used orange zest instead of lemon since I already had a lemon cookie on the Christmas tray. These would be pretty with a quick drizzle of a confectioner's sugar icing. You know, just squiggly lines over the cookie back and forth, and then maybe a quick spinkle of colored sugar over the wet drizzle. Thank you for posting this recipe. It will be a regular of mine.
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup tbsps sugar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanlla extract
- 1⁄2 cup dried currant
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 14 pecan halves (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven.
- preheat the oven to 350*.line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- in a medium bowl, stir the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt together.set aside.
- in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter, 3/4 cup of the sugar, and the lemon zest until smooth and creamy -- and the color has lightened slightly.about 1 minute.
- stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed during mixing.
- add the egg yolks and vanilla and mix until blended -- about 1 minute.
- on low speed, add the flour mixture, mixing just until it is incorporated.
- mix in the currants and chopped pecans.
- spread the remaining 3 tbls sugar on a large piece of parchment or wax paper.using an ice cream scoop with a 1/4 cup capcacity, scoop out portions of dough --
- roll each between the palms of your hands into a smooth ball.then roll each ball in the sugar and flatten to about 3 1/2" circle.and place the cookies about 2" apart on the baking sheets --
- press a pecan half into the center of each cookie, if desired.
- bake one sheet at a time until the bottoms and edges are lightly browned.about 15 minutes.
- cool the cookies for 5 minutes on the baking sheets, then use a wide metal spatula to tansfer them to a wire rack to cool compeltely --
- the cookies can be stored to a tightly covered container at room temperature for up to 3 days.