From "Everyday Foods" No. 29 (Jan./Feb. 2006).
Make and share this Cornmeal-Crusted Tilapia With Black Beans and Salsa recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup salsa (use your favorite prepared salsa)
- 1 lb tilapia fillet (four 4-oz. fillets)
- 1⁄3 cup cornmeal (yellow)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Spicy Black Beans
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup water
- Prepare black beans: Heat olive oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add minced garlic and red pepper flakes; cook until fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Add two cans of drained and rinsed black beans and one cup water.
- Bring to a simmer; cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for about 15 inutes. (If you want a thinner consistency, add more water to taste). Season with coarse salt to taste, and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Prepare tilapia: In a shallow dish, combine cornmeal and paprika; add salt and pepper to taste.
- Dredge each tilapia fillet in cornmeal mixture, patting it carefully on to cover completely.
- In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook as many fillets as you can (without crowding) until golden and firm (about 2-4 minutes per side).
- Transfer to plate and keep warm.
- Serve tilapia with black beans and salsa.
I used this recipe but for a twist i used blue cornmeal.
Tagged for Paprika-September 2008 Herb/Spice in the Gardening Forum. Very good! I baked the Tilapia in a 425 degree oven for 12 minutes, in a pyrex dish sprayed with cooking spray. I liked the combination of tilapia, black beans, and salsa, and will make this again!