Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
A recipe from my sister
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs (or crushed cornflakes if you want a crunchier crust)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large chicken legs, cut into leg and thigh pieces
- 1⁄3 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 -3 tablespoons liquid honey, warmed slightly
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- Combine the cornmeal, breadcrumbs (or crushed cornflakes)cayenne, salt and pepper in a shallow sided dish.
- Brush the chicken all over wth the mustard.
- Place the chicken in the crust mixture and pat the mixture onto the chicken to coat it on all sides.
- Set on a baking sheet skin side down and bake for 20 minutes.
- Turn the pieces over and bake for 15 minutes more.
- Drizzle the top of the chicken with honey and bake for 10-15 more, or until cooked through.
- *For a calorie reduced version of this dish, remove the skin from the chicken before coating.
- ** I made this tonight using boneless, skinless chicken breasts, it was really tasty -- just decrease the cooking time.
Thanks so much Evie* for sharing. My family & I enjoyed the chicken legs prepared this way, they were very easy to make with no mess. The chicken was crispy and sweet with a strong mustard flavour.