Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is an adaption of my "Blackberry/Blueberry pie", it has a tasty ,buttery, cornmeal crust and fresh strawberries in a sweet/tart glaze filling. Good for a summer party or to use up that old cornmeal or tub of strawberries you want to use up (feel free to add other berries! just make sure to add more sugar/splenda and less vinegar if it is a more tart berry!)
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 32 ounces strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (can sub half with sugar substitute)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Farenheit.
- To make the crust: In a lg bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a medium bowl, cream the butter and 1/2 cup sugar together until smooth. Incorporate the eggs and extracts and beat until combined. Gradually cream together with the flour mixture and mix until the dough comes together, pressing with your hands (add more flour if it is too loose).
- Separate 1/3 of the dough and set aside.
- Butter a 9 inch cake pan and press the remaining dough into the pan evenly, cover with wrap. Roll and cut the separated dough and set aside. Freeze all of the dough for approx 30 minutes until firm.
- Meanwhile, to make the filling: In a medium bowl, mix together the vinegar, cornstarch, extract, lemon juice, salt, egg and sugar. Mix well and gently stir in the strawberries. Stir until the berries are fully coated and set aside until needed.
- Assembling/making the Pie: Pour the filling evenly into the chilled pie crust and top with the rolled out dough (feel free to get decorative and cut out shapes if you'd like). Sprinkle lightly with granulated sugar/salt and place the pie on the middle rack and bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes, until the crust is golden. Serve cold (w/some lemonade or vanilla frozen yogurt would be good) and refrigerate for up to a week.