Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This surprisingly tasty no-bake side dish is a popular Carribean classic that accompanies boiled, steamed or panfried fish. Can also be made without okra. From Essence Great Cooking.
- 12 fresh okra pods
- 4 pints water
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lb yellow cornmeal
- In cold water, rinse okra; remove stems and slice into rounds.
- In large saucepan, combine okra and water; bring to boil and stir in butter, salt & pepper. Remove from heat; stir in cornmeal until all lumps are dissolved and mixture is smooth.
- Return to heat and, using wooden spoon, stir until mixture is well blended, slightly stiff, and comes away from sides of pan.
- Spoon into lightly buttered bowl; let sit about 30 minutes until set. Cover top of bowl with platter and invert to transfer Coo Coo to serving platter.