Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Here's a savory biscotti served as an appetizer or with soup! The recipe came from 1999 cookbook, Cookies for Christmas. Preparation time does not include initial cooling time.
- 236.59 ml extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 59.14 ml unsalted butter, softened
- 113.39 g can green chili peppers, diced, drained
- 12.32 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 2 eggs
- 118.29 ml yellow cornmeal
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F & lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- In a large mixing bowl beat cheese & butter with electric mixer on medium-high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add chili peppers, baking powder, salt & pepper, beating until combined, & scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Beat in eggs, then beat in cornmeal & as much of the flour as you can with the mixer.
- Using a wooden spoon or your hands, stir or knead in any remaining flour.
- Divide dough in half, & shape each half into a 9-inch long loaf.
- Place loaves about 5 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet.
- Flatten slightly to about 3 inches wide.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until light brown.
- Cool on cookie sheet for 1 hour.
- When cooled, preheat oven to 325 degrees F, & transfer loaves to cutting board to cut each loaf into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Place slices, cut sides down, on cookie sheet & bake for 15 minutes.
- Turn slices over & bake another 15 minutes or more or until cookies are dry & crisp.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool.
Looking for a different appetizer for a holiday party, these immediately caught my attention. I made the dough as presented and changed the preparation a bit by slicing my biscotti about 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick. This gave me an extra crispy result that was part cornbread and part cracker. Served with a black bean salsa and guacamole they were a delicious and elegant alternative to the popular corn chip. Made for Newest Zaar Tag.
These are wonderful with a bowl of chili! The biscotti have a wonderful flavor and nice crunchy texture. Thank you for the recipe. Made for PRMR.
Loved these, but we love corn muffins. I followed justcallmetoni's cue -- sliced them thin and served with our favorite salsa. Froze the rest so I would have them on hand. Thanks Syd for posting.