Recipe by CanadianFarmgal
I got this recipe from a fellow Ukrainian Dance Mom. It never fails and is so good. Full of calories and flavour, I'm afraid.
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 cup bacon, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 6 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 6 whole eggs
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry the bacon crisp in an oven proof dutch oven.
- Remove bacon and set aside.
- In a separate pot, scald the 6 Celsius milk. Add the chicken bouillon mix, keep hot.
- Meanwhile, add butter and onion to the dutch oven - saute until onion is tender.
- Add cornmeal, mix well.
- Carefully add the milk to to cornmeal mixture to avoid lumps.
- Cook until the mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Salt and pepper to taste.
- When thick, turn off heat.
- Add bacon to the cornmeal mixture.
- Whip 6 eggs to a nice froth, add the sugar.
- Fold into cornmeal mixture. When it is conformly mixed, do the same with the cream.
- Butter large casserole, pour mixture inches.
- Bake 30 - 45 minutes in a 350°F oven depending on if you prefer it like breakfast cereal or more like cake.