Recipe by Grace Lynn
This is an old-fashioned french recipe that is typically served with a garlicky salad for a quick and delicious light meal. It's like a crisp corn pancake which tastes like a dessert but treated as a vegetable. There is very little batter to cover the apples, so the result is light and crisp. Don't be afraid to bake the cake until it is just slightly burned on the edges and golden in the center. Serve it immediately upon removing it from the oven! Recipe is from French Farmhouse Cookbook.
Top Review by ladypit
This was DEVOURED at my house. Absolutely wonderful! Not much sugar but still nice and sweet. I used 2 egg whites instead of a full egg, and skim milk. I should have whisked just a little more, but it was so homey and wonderful. I had originally thought about trying it with less butter but I would not recommend that or the whole thing would stick. Thanks for a wonderful recipe!
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar or 2 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 3 tablespoons coarse yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored, and cut into thin slices
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Pour the melted butter into a 10-inch tart pan and swirl it around so it evenly covers the bottom.
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan over low heat until it is hot but not boiling.
- Keep it hot over very low heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg with the sugar.
- Then whisk in the cornmeal, flour, and salt.
- Whisking vigorously, slowly add the hot milk, stirring until combined.
- Strew the apple slices over the surface of the tart pan.
- Whisk the cornmeal mixture again and pour it over the apples, shaking the tart pan if necessary, so that the batter evenly covers the surface.
- The apple slices will stick well above the batter.
- Bake in the center of the oven until the cake is deep golden on the edges and a lighter golden in the center, 15 to 20 minutes.
- When the corn cake is cooked, remove it from the oven and serve immediately.