I have been using this recipe for many years and is the best I came across so far. Very easy to make, very moist and taste fantastic. Cornemeal cake is very common in Brazil , where I come from and goes very nice with a cup of fresh brewed coffee or even a nice cup of tea.
- Pre-heat the oven at 200°C.
- Lightly oil (or butter) a non-stick 30 cm cake pan.
- Mix the eggs yolk with sugar and oil.
- Boil the milk and pour on the cornmeal, on a separated bowl,mixing well.
- Mix this to the eggs mixture.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and add to the mixture.
- On a clean bowl whisk the eggs white and fold into the mixture.
- Pour this to the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes or until the tester come out clean.
This is the best cornmeal cake I have ever made. I did them in muffin tins and baked them on 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes. They were a hit and my husbands knew from the first bite that I had did something different. We are doing renovations and I feed the crew, they just kept on eating them with molasses after they ate their stew.
Indeed, the best cornmeal cake ever ever ever, my daughter loved it and we've eaten nearly half the cake at tea. I've made a few changes to the recipe though: added a teaspoon of vanilla essence and half a cup of grated coconut. Yummy!
I didn't follow the recipe correctly and just added the eggs without seperating them! It still came out great and my family loved it!