Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
This recipe is designed for a contact grill, such as a George Foreman. It is adapted from a recipe at About.com by Linda Larsen. Be sure to leave yourself time for the breaded chicken to rest 30 minutes before grilling.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Rinse chicken and pat it dry.
- It works best thin, so put the chicken breasts between two sheets of waxed paper and pound them to about 1/3" thick.
- Pour beaten egg in shallow bowl.
- In a shallow dish or pan, combine basil, oregano, pepper, salt, and grated cheese.
- Brush chicken with the lemon juice, then dip both sides in the beaten egg.
- Next, coat chicken with the cornmeal mixture.
- Let chicken sit on a wire rack for 20-30 minutes.
- Spray George Foreman two sided grill with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook chicken for 4-7 minutes until thoroughly cooked, brown and crisp.
i really liked this chicken. The crust itself was dry but I couldn't believe how juicy and succulent the chicken was inside. The crust was flavored nicely and I liked how the crust didn't just fall off like say, shake n bake does in the oven.
Made this for supper tonight as a tag for the Bargain Basement tag game. I thought this was okay, but not great. But then I realized I didn't follow instructions correctly! I mixed the cornmeal in with the parm and herbs. And I think I overcooked some. It was a tad dry and would definitely put more cheese in next time! I'm not really sure what the lemon juice added; might leave that out next time. It was a very pretty dish!