Recipe by Marz
This recipe came from Feb 2008 BH&G. My friend made this and I had to have the recipe. So good. The icing is optional.
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup cold butter, cut up
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely shredded lime peel
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 -4 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped almonds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, cornmeal, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cut in butter until flour mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in center.
- Combine buttermilk, egg, and peel; add all at once to flour mixture. Stir with a fork just until moistened.
- Toss berries with cornstarch to coat; add to flour mixture. Stir gently 3 to 5 turns, just until berries are incorporated (do not overmix). Using a large spoon, drop dough into 12 mounds on baking sheet, leaving 1 inch between mounds.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until tops are golden. For icing, in a small bowl whisk enough lime juice into powdered sugar until drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm scones. Sprinkle with nuts. Serve warm. Makes 12 scones.
- *Leave berries in the freezer until ready to toss with cornstarch.