This recipe came from Feb 2008 BH&G. My friend made this and I had to have the recipe. So good. The icing is optional.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cut up
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely shredded lime peel
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 -4 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped almonds, toasted
- 1Preheat oven to 450°F Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray; set aside.
- 2In a large bowl combine flour, cornmeal, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cut in butter until flour mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in center.
- 3Combine buttermilk, egg, and peel; add all at once to flour mixture. Stir with a fork just until moistened.
- 4Toss berries with cornstarch to coat; add to flour mixture. Stir gently 3 to 5 turns, just until berries are incorporated (do not overmix). Using a large spoon, drop dough into 12 mounds on baking sheet, leaving 1 inch between mounds.
- 5Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until tops are golden. For icing, in a small bowl whisk enough lime juice into powdered sugar until drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm scones. Sprinkle with nuts. Serve warm. Makes 12 scones.
- 6*Leave berries in the freezer until ready to toss with cornstarch.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cornmeal Blueberry Scones
Serving Size: 1 (118 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 323.2
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 47.3 mg
- Sodium 203.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 27.9 g
- Protein 5.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: