- 2 1⁄4 cups flour (whole wheat works well)
- 1 1⁄4 cups cornmeal
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 egg, beaten (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Cut in butter, then add milk to make a soft dough. Let sit 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, turn 8 soufle bowls upside down and wrap foil onto the outside. Grease well.
- Divide dough into 8 equal pieces and shape each over a bowl.
- Brush with egg and sprinkle more cornmeal over, if desired.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes to let the bowls harden. Lift bowls off with foil, turn right-side-up, and fill with supper.