Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
These may be frozen and reheated. source: Farm Journal Country Cookbook
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 2⁄3 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can refried beans
- 3⁄4 cup provolone cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons red chili sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- To make pastry shells, mix flour, salt and cornmeal. Cut in shortening. Stir in grated cheese. Sprinkle water over mixture, tossing with fork until pastry is uniformly dampened.
- Roll to about 1/8 inch thickness on lightly floured surface. Cut in 2 inch circles. press pastry circles into tiny tart cups, ruffling edges. Bake in hot oven (400 degrees) 13 minutes.
- Combine filling ingredients in a double boiler; heat until cheese melts. Spoon into cornmeal tarts.
- To freeze:.
- Place tarts close together in a disposable aluminum foil pan. Freeze until firm; cover tightly with plastic wrap, then with aluminum foil. Seal foil to edges of pan securely with freezer tape.
- To Serve:.
- Remove foil and plastic wrap and bake unthawed in hot oven (400 degrees) 15 to 20 minutes.