Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
For the bagel-lover this crunchy cornmeal version will be a special treat.
- 3 -3 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons yeast (or one packet)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 egg
- In large mixer bowl, combine 1 cup flour, cornmeal, yeast, 2 tablespoons sugar and salt: mix well.
- Add very warm water (120-130°) and oil to flour mixture.
- Add egg.
- Blend at low speed until moistened: beat 3 minutes at medium speed.
- By hand, gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour (30 minutes for quick rise yeast).
- Punch down dough.
- Divide into 4 parts.
- Divide each part into 3 pieces.
- On lightly floured surface, shape each piece into a smooth ball.
- Punch a hole in the center with a finder.
- Pull dough gently to make a 1 to 2-inch hole.
- Heat 2 quarts of water and 2 tablespoons sugar to boiling.
- Place a few bagels at a time in boiling water.
- Simmer 3 minutes, turning once. Remove with slotted spoon.
- Place on greased cookie sheet.
- Brush tops with 1 egg white, slightly beaten: sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds.
- Preheat oven to 375°F degrees.
- Bake at 375° for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from cookie sheets: cool.
Loved these bagels but may let them rise a bit before putting into the water. Very easy recipe and love the flavor. Great toasted for breakfast.
These were very easy to make and delicious. I used blue cornmeal as that is what I had on hand. I enjoyed the "gritty" texture that the corn meal gave the bagels.
These are fantastic! I will never buy bagels from the shop again. I only made 8 bagels instead of 12 because I thought they might be a bit small. I sprinkled them with cornmeal before baking instead of seeds. I also was only able to get 2 1/2 cups of flour in. Thanks for a great recipe!