1/2 Photos of Cornmeal Bagels
1 hr 30 mins
For the bagel-lover this crunchy cornmeal version will be a special treat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In large mixer bowl, combine 1 cup flour, cornmeal, yeast, 2 tablespoons sugar and salt: mix well.
- 2Add very warm water (120-130°) and oil to flour mixture.
- 3Add egg.
- 4Blend at low speed until moistened: beat 3 minutes at medium speed.
- 5By hand, gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- 6Knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 7Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- 8Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour (30 minutes for quick rise yeast).
- 9Punch down dough.
- 10Divide into 4 parts.
- 11Divide each part into 3 pieces.
- 12On lightly floured surface, shape each piece into a smooth ball.
- 13Punch a hole in the center with a finder.
- 14Pull dough gently to make a 1 to 2-inch hole.
- 15Heat 2 quarts of water and 2 tablespoons sugar to boiling.
- 16Place a few bagels at a time in boiling water.
- 17Simmer 3 minutes, turning once. Remove with slotted spoon.
- 18Place on greased cookie sheet.
- 19Brush tops with 1 egg white, slightly beaten: sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds.
- 20Preheat oven to 375°F degrees.
- 21Bake at 375° for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
- 22Remove from cookie sheets: cool.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cornmeal Bagels
Serving Size: 1 (793 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 168.7
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 15.5 mg
- Sodium 300.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 4.4 g