Recipe by Sherrybeth
From a recent episode of a local cooking show. The cooking time include cooling time.
Top Review by norsecookie
Very good cake! Wonderful warm and fresh, wonderful cold the next day. YUM! I had to bake it quite a bit longer, but I'm unsure if that's due to altitude, type of springform pan, or size of pan. Regardless, great recipe.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 cups apples, peeled, cored & sliced (about 3 medium apples)
- 1⁄3 cup craisins
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the sides and the bottom of a springform pan.
- In a large skillet, melt 1/4 cup of butter over medium heat.
- Add apples and craisins.
- Cook about 8 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Combine cinnamon and sugar.
- Sprinkle apples with cinnamon and sugar and set this mixture aside.
- Combine dry ingredients - cornmeal, flour, baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt.
- In mixing bowl cream 3/4 cups of softened butter.
- Add 1 cup of sugar gradually and beat in vanilla until all is combined.
- Add eggs one at a time; beating after each addition.
- Add sour cream and milk. Fold in the cornmeal mixture.
- Pour 2/3 of batter in the bottom of prepared springform pan.
- Top with cooked apples and craisins, reserving some for garnish.
- Top with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan about 20 minutes.
- Remove sides of pan.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving. Serve each slice with whipped topping.