Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
This cake is moist and can keep up to a week. It is quick to make and has an usual taste if wine is used.
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup coarse yellow cornmeal
- 2⁄3 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 cup butter, diced
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup full flavoured white wine or 1 cup apple juice
- Pre heat the oven to 175°C.
- Grease the cake tin and line the base of the tin with grease proof or baking paper.
- Then brush the paper with melted butter.
- Flour the lined cake tin and discarding the excess flour.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and salt into a food processor.
- Add the cornmeal, almonds, butter, and sugar.
- 7. Using the pulse button mix until it forms crumbs that start to clump together, about 30 seconds.
- Add the eggs and wine and pulse just until smooth.
- Pour the cake mixture into the cake tin and bake until the cake starts to come away from the sides of the tin and springs back when lightly pressed with a fingertip. This should take approximately 45 to 55 minutes.
- Let the cake cool in the pan about 10 minutes, then turn it onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust with icing sugar/powdered sugar.