Cook1 hr 30 mins
Recipe handed down from my great grandmother. Individual pasties were often made for lunches for the men in the fields or on the seas.
- Make pie crust: Mix flour by hand with 1/2 of shortening till crumbly.
- Add remaining shortening and continue to mix.
- Salt may be added to flour if desired.
- Add water- mix with fork until forms into a ball.
- Roll out into top and bottom crust.
- Or may use purchased crust.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Put uncooked pie crust into bottom of 9" pie plate.
- Cover with a layer of sliced potatoes.
- Sprinkle with 1/3 of the onions.
- Crumble 1/2 ground chuck and spread over potatoes.
- Continue layering ending with potatoes and onions.
- Cover with top crust.
- Put a few holes in it for steam to escape.
- Bake approximately 1 1/2 hours until potatoes are soft.
- Let sit 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve in slices as a pie with Chili Sauce on the side.