Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A welcoming treat anytime.
Make and share this Cornish Pasties recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb ground beef, lean browned and drained
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (we used hy's)
- 1 teaspoon gravy beef base
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules, dissolved in
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled, diced
- 1 cup carrot, peeled, diced
- 4 tablespoons onions, minced finely
- 1 garlic clove, minced
never fail pastry
- 1 lb shortening (Crisco)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 5 cups flour
- 1 cup water
- FILLING: Brown and drain the ground beef.
- Measure seasonings, prepare veggies and put in dishes.
- Mix water and beef broth granules.
- Combine beef, seasonings and flour and stir well to coat.
- Add vegetables and beef broth mix and cook til veggies are crisp tender. Stir frequently to prevent sticking and burning.
- PASTRY: We make the pastry in 2 batches in the food processor.
- Beat the egg in a 2 cup measuring cup.
- Add very cold water to 1 cup measure.
- Add vinegar and stir.
- Put 2 1/2 cups flour in processor; add 1/2 the shortening and 1/2 salt. Pulse to a mealy texture.
- Divide liquid and add very slowly til machine starts to labor.
- Add liquid drip by drip til a lump forms and stays together.
- Remove pastry and repeat process.
- We use a large turn-over form that seals and cuts out the dough.
- Roll out 1/4 dough at a time on a heavy pastry cloth and using the turnover form.
- Cut out out circles.
- Place on form and put about 1 tbsp filling or a little less on dough.
- You should have a little egg mix left from pastry. Brush edges with this and close and seal pastie and place on baking sheets.
- Brush with milk.
- Bake at 425°F for 20 minutes.
This recipe was hard to follow and didn't really give me that Michigan Upper Penninsula flavor. It might be edited for easier directions. I'll keep looking but thanks for the start.