We could buy these at a local bakery where I was growing up. I loved them and would often detour by the bakery after school to get one.
Short Crust Pastry
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 6 tablespoons ice water (or more)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces lean ground beef
- 6 ounces boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 -5 tablespoons beef gravy or 4 -5 tablespoons beef stock
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs (thyme, marjoram, sage)
- salt and pepper
- Combine ½ cup flour, shortening, 6 tbsp ice water and salt in large bowl and beat well with large whisk or wooden spoon.
- Using fingertips, blend in remaining flour until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- If too dry, add up to 2 tbsp more ice water, a few drops at a time.
- Gather dough into ball.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Combine beef, potatoes, onion and herbs and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Stir in enough beef gravy to bind mixture.
- Roll dough out on lightly floured surface to thickness of 1/8 of an inch.
- Using 5-6 inch in diameter, round cutter, cut 10 circles.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lightly grease baking sheet.
- Mound meat mixture lightly in center of each circle; brush border with milk; fold dough in half over filling, pinching edges together to seal.
- Brush pastries with milk.
- Arrange on prepared sheet.
- Bake 10 minutes, reduce oven temperature to 340F and continue baking until pasties are light brown, about 45-50 minutes.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.