1/4 Photos of Cornish Pasties
1 hr 20 mins
We could buy these at a local bakery where I was growing up. I loved them and would often detour by the bakery after school to get one.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Short Crust Pastry
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 6 tablespoons ice water (or more)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1Combine ½ cup flour, shortening, 6 tbsp ice water and salt in large bowl and beat well with large whisk or wooden spoon.
- 2Using fingertips, blend in remaining flour until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- 3If too dry, add up to 2 tbsp more ice water, a few drops at a time.
- 4Gather dough into ball.
- 5Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- 6Combine beef, potatoes, onion and herbs and season generously with salt and pepper.
- 7Stir in enough beef gravy to bind mixture.
- 8Roll dough out on lightly floured surface to thickness of 1/8 of an inch.
- 9Using 5-6 inch in diameter, round cutter, cut 10 circles.
- 10Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 11Lightly grease baking sheet.
- 12Mound meat mixture lightly in center of each circle; brush border with milk; fold dough in half over filling, pinching edges together to seal.
- 13Brush pastries with milk.
- 14Arrange on prepared sheet.
- 15Bake 10 minutes, reduce oven temperature to 340F and continue baking until pasties are light brown, about 45-50 minutes.
- 16Serve hot or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cornish Pasties
Serving Size: 1 (1365 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 425.4
- Calories from Fat 210
- Total Fat 23.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 14.9 mg
- Sodium 282.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 10.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: