1/4 Photos of Cornish Pasties
1 hr 15 mins
Halcyon Eve's Note:
This is a delicious, simple pasty (pronounced "pass-tea" ) recipe. No gravy is needed, as it makes its own. The crust is sturdy but good. These have no turnips or swedes; you can add them if you like. My husband hates them, so I leave them out. Prep time is estimated, as I've never paid attention to how long it takes. Note: if measuring the flour by volume rather than weight, be sure to stir it first, or you will end up with too much flour, and thus a tough, dry crust.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb chuck or 1/2 lb round steak, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- salt & pepper
- 1 pinch dried thyme (optional)
- 8 ounces flour (scant 2 cups)
- 2 ounces cold butter, diced
- 2 ounces vegetable shortening or 2 ounces lard, chilled and diced
- cold water (add ice cubes to keep very cold)
- 1 eggs, beaten (to glaze) or 1 milk (to glaze)
- 1Preheat oven to 425* F.
- 2Combine potato, onion, meat, and seasonings; mix together well.
- 3Cut butter and shortening into flour in a bowl until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add about 2 tablespoons cold water and mix with a fork to form a firm dough (add more water if necessary, until mixture just holds together).
- 4Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead lightly a few times. Cut into quarters, and roll each quarter out into a 6-7 inch circle. Trim by using a small plate placed over pastry and cutting around edge with a small, sharp knife.
- 5Divide filling between each circle of pastry. Wet edges with water and fold pastry into a semi-circle, pressing edges together. Flute edges with fingers to form a tight seal.
- 6Place pasties onto a baking sheet and brush with egg or milk. Bake at 425* F for 40-45 minutes, or until golden and heated through. May be served hot or cold.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cornish Pasties
Serving Size: 1 (178 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 503.2
- Calories from Fat 247
- Total Fat 27.4 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 76.9 mg
- Sodium 124.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 8.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: