1 hr 25 mins
Shake up tradition a little and serve these for Thanksgiving or anytime! Everyone loves to have their own little bird stuffed with moist, delicious cornbread stuffing. This is an easy dinner to make for a party! You can make your own cornbread or use store-bought. Adapted from Barefoot Contessa At Home cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 lb unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups celery, diced (about 3 stalks)
- 3 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 5 cups coarsely crumbled cornbread
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1Preheat oven to 400*F.
- 2To make stuffing:.
- 3Melt butter in a medium saute pan, add the onion, and cook over medium low heat for 8 minutes, until translucent. Remove from heat and add celery, parsley, cornbread, and chicken stock. Mix well, set aside.
- 4For the hens:.
- 5Rinse them inside and out, removing any pin feathers, and pat outsides dry. In a roasting pan that's just large enough to hold the hens loosely, toss in the onions and then place the hens on top, breast side up. Sprinkle the insides of the hens with salt and pepper and loosely fill the cavities with the stuffing. If there is any stuffing leftover, bake it in a separate pan until heated through.
- 6Tie the legs of each hen together and tuck the wings under the bodies. Brush with melted butter, sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast for 50-60 minutes, until skin is browned and the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh.
- 7Remove from oven, cover with foil and allow to rest for about 15 minutes. Serve a whole hen per person. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cornish Hens With Cornbread Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (389 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 491.8
- Calories from Fat 247
- Total Fat 27.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.2 g
- Cholesterol 268.9 mg
- Sodium 217.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 49.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: