Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
from The Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro or 2 teaspoons coriander
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 1 cup water
- 2 Cornish hens, cut into fourths
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup green Greek olive
- 1⁄2 preserved lemon, rind of, cut into 1/2 thick slices
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Mix onion, cliantro, ginger, garlic, saffron, paprika, olive oil and lemon juice in a large bowl. Toss the chicken pieces to coat in mixture.
- Brown 3-4 chicken pieces at a time in a skillet over medium-heat.
- Once all pieces are browned, return all to skillet and cover with onion mixture and water. Cook on high for 10 minutes.
- Transfer skillet to oven for another 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil olives, lemon peel and 1/4 c of the onion sauce in a small pan.
- Remove skillet from oven and remove chicken pieces from pan. Boil sauce in pan until it thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with olives and lemon peel.