Recipe by Karen From Colorado
These are very easy to make and elegant to serve to dinner guests or to your family. Garnish with an orange slice on the side if desired. Ask the meat cutter to cut the hens in half for you.
- 1 oranges or 1 tangelo
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 1⁄4 cup sliced celery
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups seasoned stuffing mix
- 2 Cornish hens, halved lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Finely shred 1/4 tsp peel from the orange.
- Remove and discard the remaining peel.
- Section orange over a bowl, squeezing juice out.
- Halve sections and set aside.
- Add water to the sections to equal 3 tablespoons.
- In a small pan, cook green onion and celery in hot oil until tender but not brown.
- For stuffing, toss together peel, orange sections, onion mixture, stuffing mix and enough of the juice to moisten.
- In a large rectangular cake pan, spoon stuffing into 4 mounds.
- Rinse hens and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place hens, cavity side down over the stuffing mounds.
- Cover loosely with foil.
- Roast in a 375°F oven for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and roast another 20 minutes.
- Stir together honey and 1 tablespoon water. Brush over hens.
- Roast uncovered for another 15 minutes or until hens are tender.
- Use a wide spatula to transfer hens and stuffing to dinner plates.