Recipe by JOHN TYLER
Cornish games with orange sauce is an elegant, but easy recipe. It is perfect for dinner parties as it allows the cook ample time to enjoy guests while preparing. Served with buttered broccoli or asparagus and sautéed onions/red pepper it is visually appealing as well.
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 500°F.
- Prepare hens by rubbing mixture of salt and pepper into skin liberally.
- Place on cookie sheet, breast side up.
- Roast for 15 minutes at 500°F.
- Remove from oven and turn breast down; pour 1 1/2 cups water over hens.
- Turn oven down to 425°F and continue to cook for 1/2 hour.
- Meanwhile, use a zester to obtain orange peel without cutting into pith of fruit.
- Slice oranges in half and squeeze juice.
- Place juice in saucepan with zest and heat thoroughly (do not boil).
- Remove hens from oven and turn breast-side up and continue cooking for additional 1/2 hour (total cooking time is 1 hour 15 minutes).
- Blend cornstarch with orange juice/zest mixture and heat to thicken, stirring constantly.
- To serve: Place hen on plate and pour sauce over. Sprinkle with additional orange zest and parsley.