Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I make these sometimes when I am planning a romantic dinner for me and my husband, even though this recipe is for four. It's pretty elegant, in my opinion. I just like the idea of each person having their own individual little bird.
- 4 (1 1/2-2 lb) Cornish hens
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole dried tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground savory
- 1 7⁄8 teaspoons pepper
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup orange marmalade
- peeled orange slice
- Remove giblets from hens. Rinse hens with cold water and pat dry. Combine seasonings, stirring well. Sprinkle cavities with half of seasonings, and close cavaties. Secure with wooden picks; truss. Brush with butter and sprinkle with remaining seasons.
- Place hens, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Pour water into pan to cover bottom. Place in upper half of oven, and bake at 425F for 45 minutes.
- Brush hens with butter, and spoon 1 tablespoon marmalade on each breast. Bake an additional 35 to 45 minutes or until juices run clear when pierced with fork. garnish with watercress and orange slices.