Prep 8 hrs 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A great variation for those "mini chickens" From Latin Flavors on the Grill by Douglas Rodriquez. Prep time includes marinating time
- 3 tablespoons toasted celery seeds
- 3 tablespoons toasted black mustard seeds
- 2 cups honey
- 1⁄2 cup mustard oil
- 3 tablespoons mustard powder
- 6 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoons cracked black pepper
- 3 Cornish hens, split in half lengthwise
- To make the glaze, combine the celery and mustard seeds in a spice grinder and coarsely grind.
- Combine the ground seeds in a blender with the honey, mustard oil, mustard powder, garlic, cilantro, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Pulse on and off for about 15 seconds.
- Set aside.
- Place the hens in a large nonreactive glass dish or container.
- Add half the glaze, cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Prepare a medium fire in the grill with the coals piled on one side of the grill or with only one side of a gas grill fired up.
- Place the hens skin side down on the grate opposite the heat source for indirect heat, cover the grill, and grill for 20 to 30 minute, turning frequently and brushing with the reserved glaze, until the meat is tender and cooked through and the juices run clear.
- Transfer hens to serving platter and serve.