Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Very simple dish that calls for an orange marmalade and ginger glaze, and would make an ideal holiday dish for two, or you could easily double. This is from a newspaper recipe I've had for years.
- 2 (1 1/4 lb) Cornish hens
- salt, for cavity
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1⁄4 cup orange marmalade
Creamy Orange Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup orange marmalade
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Rinse hens and salt the cavity and outside of birds.
- Place in a shallow, oiled baking pan.
- Brush hens with 2 TBS melted butter.
- Bake in 350* oven for an hour, until golden brown.
- Brush hens with 1/4 cup of the orange marmalade and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- To make the sauce, melt 2 TBS butter in a small saucepan, over medium heat.
- Stir in flour and ginger, then gradually add the milk.
- Cook over medium heat, stiring constantly, until mixture just comes to a boil and thickens.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup marmalade, then pour the sauce over the game hens.