Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
from Woman's World magazine
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 8 ounces cherries, pitted
- 2 tablespoons chopped dried apricots
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 (1 1/2 lb) Cornish hens
- 1⁄3 cup apricot jam
- Preheat oven to 425°F In skillet melt 2 tbsp butter over med heat.
- Add celery and shallots; cook, stirring often, until tender, about 4 minute Remove from heat; stir in rice, cherries, apricots, parsley, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp pepper.
- Rub hens with remaining butter; sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper.
- Fill cavities with stuffing.
- Place on rack in roasting pan.
- Roast 15 minute Reduce oven temp to 350F roast 45 minute.
- Stir 1 tbsp water into jam; brush over hens.
- Roast until meat thermometer inserted into thigh registers 180F, about 15 minute.
I liked this recipe. It was simple, but beautiful, and made a nice presentation. I thought the stuffing lacked something in the seasoning; it was a bit bland. I'm considering using some thyme or maybe even cinnamon next time. The apricot glaze on the hens was my favorite part.
Great stuffing. I made it with dried cherries instead of pitted fresh ones, and with olive oil instead of butter. I put it in a casserole dish and baked it for about half an hour instead of actually stuffing the hens -- less fat that way. Yummy stuff! Thanks!