Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 15 mins
Found this years ago on the internet, and have since made it several times with rave reviews. Don't accidentally double the cheese as I once did. The celery can be replaced with carrots if you don't normally buy it. I have never added the mushrooms.
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄3 cup rice
- 2 tablespoons celery
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (2 ounce) can mushrooms, drained and chopped (optional)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Cornish hens
- Melt butter in saucepan.
- Add rice, celery and onions, cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, bring to boil.
- Cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms if using.
- Mix in cheddar cheese.
- Season birds with salt and pepper, then stuff. Place extra stuffing mixture in separate pan.
- Place breast side up on a rack in a pan. Cover with foil.
- Roast at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil, and continue roasting for 45 minutes, or until done. Baste occasionally with butter.
- The extra stuffing is added covered during the last 45 minutes. Remove the cover the last 15 minutes.
My husband and I were disappointed in this recipe. Too much cheese, the stuffing was a gummy disaster. The hen tasted a little dry too. Doubt I'd try this recipe again.