Recipe by JenSmith
A simple yet impressive dish. Low in sodium and calories, this is great for people who are on a restricted diet, yet still want to indulge their gourmet cravings. From Southern Living, February 1986.
- 2 (1 1/4 lb) Cornish hens
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup dry vermouth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F/230°C Remove giblets from hens, and reserve for other uses. Rinse hens with cold water, pat dry, then split lengthwise butterfly-style with a sharp knife (or an electric knife).
- Sprinkle green onions in a 12x8x2-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; place the split hens over onions.
- Combine vermouth, lemon juice, and soy sauce and pour over the hens.
- Sprinkle lightly with paprika and pepper.
- Bake at 450°F/230°C for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F/180°C, and bake an additional 25 minutes or until done.