Recipe by Barb G.
Another delicious way to bake cornish game hens. The recipe comes from Light & Easy Diabetes Cuisine.
Top Review by imatrad
I made this recipe for a diabetic friend, and it turned out great! Only changes I made was to substitute dried tarragon for the other herbs. I also did not need to add the bit of almonds. The bake times were spot on, and it turned out beautifully and was healthy! And although it didn't say to, I did season with some salt and pepper. The sauce consistency and flavors were perfect! Thanks so much, Barb!
- 2 Cornish hens (about 1-1/4 pounds each)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash paprika
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1⁄2 cup vermouth
- 1 tablespoon frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons blanched slivered almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove skin from hens.
- Cut each in half, discarding backbones.
- Season on both sides with herbs and spices.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil.
- Saute hens about 4 minutes on each side.
- Transfer to a baking dish.
- Add garlic and shallots to skillet and saute for about 1 minute.
- Add vermouth and orange juice and swirl to mix.
- Pour over hens.
- Cover dish with foil (release foil works great) and bake 20 minutes, basting a few times.
- Increase oven temperture to 425 degrees, uncover baking dish and bake 5 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and almonds before serving.