Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I make these pasties about once a month for my family and extended family. I weigh my ingredients for accuracy and flavor.
- 4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups ice water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced potatoes
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced rutabaga
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground lean pork
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons msg (MSG)
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- Whisk together flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut shortening. Make a well in the center of the mixture, and quickly stir in ice cold water. Form dough into a ball. Set aside.
- Dissolve the bouillon cube in the hot water. Combine uncooked vegetables, uncooked meats, salt, pepper, monosodium glutamate (MSG), and bouillon.
- Roll out pastry dough into 6 x 8 inch rectangles. Place about 1 1/2 cups of filling in the center of each rectangle. Bring 6 inch sides together, and seal. Cut a slit in the top of each pasty. Place on dull, not black, baking pans.
- Bake at 425ºF for 45 minutes.