Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Cookie recipe from Nellie & Joes Famous Key West Lime Juice. These cookies are rolled in cornflakes before baking, which makes them crunchy on the outside yet cakey/chewy on the inside. --yum!
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups un-sifted powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups corn flakes, coarsely crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until smooth. Add egg, lime juice and zest. Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Place the cornflakes in a bowl and drop cookie dough by teaspoonfuls into corn flakes and toss to coat.
- Bake on un-greased cookie sheet for 15 minutes.
- *Note: I omit the lime zest and use a little extra lime juice. Also, I live at high altitude, and so I use about 1/4 cup extra flour.
I bought a bag of key limes last week without being quite sure what I was going to do with them. We were going to a friend's house for dinner, so I decided to make these and bring them along. I used juice only, no rind. Since I didn't have a real juicer on hand, some of the pulp got in too, which was just fine. I used a total of around 2 Tbs of lime juice. I was impressed with how easy and fast this was to make, even without any "fancy" kitchen tools. We are staying with a bachelor friend while waiting to move into our new house, and let's just say I felt very lucky to scrounge up a mixing bowl, whisk, and wooden spoon from his kitchen. The cookies are delicious! My husband kept sneaking some from the container before we left. I will definitely save this recipe and use again! Thanks! Note - the cookies spread out quite a bit in the oven, so give them some room on the cookiesheet.