1/1 Photo of Corner Espresso Shop Chocolate Cake
1 hr 10 mins
Bev in NY's Note:
Chocolate and Espresso, a natural combination (for me anyway). I came across the basic recipe in Famous Dave's Backroads Cookbook. It is wonderful, rich, and very sinful.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons espresso powder (I use the stuff from King Arthur's Flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa (I use plain old Hersey's)
- 1 cup brewed espresso (I stop in at Starbucks and buy 8 shots in a to-go cup if I am feeling lazy or am in town, Or you ca)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 mayonnaise
- 2 eggs, beaten just till foamy
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Butter and flour 13x9-inch baking dish.
- 3Mix first 6 ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- 4Reheat your espresso if you had to buy it at a coffee shop and mix in the baking cocoa powder.
- 5Add the vanilla and almond flavorings to the coffee/chocolate mixture.
- 6In a large mixing bowl, whisk buttermilk, mayonnaise, egg yolks, and vegetable oil.
- 7Stir in that great smelling coffee mixture.
- 8Don't lick the spoon!
- 9Toss in the softened butter and 1/2 cup of the buttermilk mixture and mix well.
- 10Don't lick the spoon!
- 11Add all of the flour mixture.
- 12Beat for 1 to 2 minutes.
- 13Add the rest of the buttermilk mixture.
- 14Don't lick the spoon!
- 15Beat 1 to 2 minutes longer, scrapping sides of bowl occasionally.
- 16Don't lick the spoon yet!
- 17Spoon cake batter into prepared baking dish.
- 18Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- 19Cool in the pan.
- 20While cake is baking, lick the spoon and the bowl if you can no longer resist.
- 21When cake is room temperature frost with either Chocolate or White Buttercream Frosting- purchased or homemade.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Corner Espresso Shop Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (133 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 434.3
- Calories from Fat 193
- Total Fat 21.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 79.2 mg
- Sodium 502.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 35.7 g
- Protein 5.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: