Prep 336 hrs
Cook 4 mins
Recipe from Darlene Kossman. Came from Peterson's Hunting, April 1984 Jimmy Dolan.
- 4 quarts water
- 1 1⁄2 cups kosher salt
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cups celery leaves, chopped
- 1⁄2 ounce saltpeter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons pickling spices
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1 teaspoon msg
- 8 garlic cloves
- 3 lbs venison roast
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- In large pot combine the water, salt, chopped onions, chopped celery leaves, thinly sliced garlic, saltpeter, MSG, brown sugar, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes.
- Place meat in bottom of crock
- Pour cooled pickling marinade over the meat, completely covering the roast.
- Put a plate over the meat making sure no air is trapped between meat and plate. Weigh plate down with clean ROCK OR BRICK.
- TIE A PIECE OF LIGHTWEIGHT CLOTH OVER TOP OF CROCK.
- With lid slightly ajar, place in cool spot for 14 days.
- To prepare meat after done:.
- Rinse in fresh water and place in large kettle.
- Add water to about 1 inch above meat.
- Add 1 chopped onion, crushed garlic cloves, and vinegar.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat cook for 3 hours or until tender.
- Remove from heat and let cool in broth for 15 minutes.