Recipe by **Jubes**
My family just love this dish. Traditional way is to serve it with mashed potato and white sauce but we usually have it served sliced and with veges. The leftovers usually become sandwich meat with pickles (that is if my husband leaves any!).The weight of the meat does not matter- boil 30mins per 500 grams
Top Review by *chookn3chicks*
Hey Jubes! I used this with a pot roast beef (not sure if that's the same thing) but it came up awesome. I served it with mashed potato and steamed vegies and everyone enjoyed. Cheers!
- 1 kg corned beef (or use corned silverside)
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar (I use malt vinegar)
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
Directions See How It's Made
- Take the meat from the bag and place in a large saucepan or boiler.
- Cover with water and add all of the ingredients.
- Bring to the boil and reduce to a gentle heat to keep the water on a gentle boil. Cover the saucepan.
- Slowly boil until cooked. 30 minutes for each 500 grams of meat.
- Remove the meat form the water when cooked and wrap in aluminium foil (you can line the foil with baking paper if desired.).
- You can slice the meat after about 10 minutes. The meat slices better the longer it is left. The meat can be sliced into thin sandwich slices when cold.
- To reheat meat either use the microwave or heat in the foil in the oven until warmed thru.
- NOTE: The vegetables cooked in the water are used for flavouring only and are discarded after the meat has cooked.
- The number of servings and cooking time depends on the size of the piece of meat.