Recipe by Callu
I find that after hunting I am expected to prepare whatever delicacies the boys have brought home. This recipe can make even the toughest game bird into lean delicious corned lunch meat (like corned beef!). This recipe will do about 8 grouse or ptarmigan about 10 pounds worth. Also works with rabbit!
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons pickling spices
- 1⁄2 cup canning salt
- 1⁄2 cup mortens tender quick salt
- 2 quarts water
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring all ingredients to a boil.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Take 2 1-gallon Freezer zip-top bags and place 5-6 pounds cleaned and skinned birds into each bag.
- Pour 1/2 cooled brine mixture into each bag.
- Get out as much air as possible and seal bag. I place each bag into a second bag just incase it gets a leak.
- Put in refrigerator for 5-7 days turning bags every day.
- Remove and drain liquid.
- Cook as you would corned beef. Place brined birds into a large pot with fresh water and boil on low for at least 30 minutes. The longer they cook the more tender the meat gets.
- Serve hot with boiled potatoes and cabbage or chill and pull pieces off and use them like lunch meat.