I find that after hunting I am expected to prepare whatever delicacies the boys have brought home. This recipe can make even the toughest game bird into lean delicious corned lunch meat (like corned beef!). This recipe will do about 8 grouse or ptarmigan about 10 pounds worth. Also works with rabbit!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring all ingredients to a boil.
- 2Remove from heat and let cool.
- 3Take 2 1-gallon Freezer zip-top bags and place 5-6 pounds cleaned and skinned birds into each bag.
- 4Pour 1/2 cooled brine mixture into each bag.
- 5Get out as much air as possible and seal bag. I place each bag into a second bag just incase it gets a leak.
- 6Put in refrigerator for 5-7 days turning bags every day.
- 7Remove and drain liquid.
- 8Cook as you would corned beef. Place brined birds into a large pot with fresh water and boil on low for at least 30 minutes. The longer they cook the more tender the meat gets.
- 9Serve hot with boiled potatoes and cabbage or chill and pull pieces off and use them like lunch meat.
Nutritional Facts for Corned Game Birds
Serving Size: 1 (261 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 26.7
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 9437.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 0.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
tender quick salt