Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This recipe comes from "Fresh" a cooking series of TV chanel Ninemsn.com.au in Australia and tastes very yummy.
- 1 kg piece corned beef (silverside)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion, chopped
- 50 g butter
- 2 white onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1 pinch clove (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chives
- Place corned beef in a large pot. Pour in enough cold water to cover. Add sugar, vinegar, peppercorns and by leaves. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 2 - 2 1/2 hours until very tender. Meat is cooked when a knife inserted comes out with little resistance.
- When corned beef is cooked, heat butter in a medium sized saucepan. Add onions and cook over low heat until soft.
- Stir in flour and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and slowly incorporate the milk, 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid. Return to the heat and cook, stirring, until thickened. Stir in mustard, chives and cloves if using. Season with white pepper.
- Serve the beef, sliced with mustard sauce and vegetables.