Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
- 4 lbs corned beef brisket, Flat cut with seasoning packet
- 2 onions, peeled and cut into eights
- 15 ounces Guinness stout
- 2 cups water
- Remove excess fat from corned beef.
- Place onions in a crock pot then brisket with season packet on top of onions.
- Pour beer and water over place lid on.
- Set crock pot on low for 6 hours.
- Place cabbage on and cook on high for 1-2 more hours.
- Remove meat carefully. It is very tender and can fall apart easily.
- Slice any excess fat. It should slide right off.
- Then Proceed with Recipe #57813 if desired.
- Serve with cabbage, onions and your favorite Irish sides. Do check the menu above.
I have made this for several years, but I leave the cabbage out, hence tge 4 stars, I am not fond of cabbage. But the beer makes it great! I just wrap it in saran wrap when it has cooled a bit, wrapping tightly and put in the fridge, and that makes it easy to slice the next day. I read that some where on the net.
I made this for St. Patrick's Day 2010. It was my first time trying to make corned beef and it was so awesome I don't see why I would bother trying any other recipe. My brisket didn't come with a season packet (go figure) but I improvised and survived. Thank you so much for sharing Rita!! This will be made again soon!