Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a recipe from Guam and uses canned corned beef (Hormel makes a 12-oz variety). You could also substitute a can of Spam (a Hawaiian favorite) for a similar result.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) can corned beef (Hormel or other brand)
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 dash italian seasoning (optional)
- 1 dash dried basil (optional)
- 1 dash dried parsley (optional)
- 1 dash chili powder (optional)
- 1 dash cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 cups small grained white rice, cooked for serving
- Heat a large skillet, over medium heat, and lightly saute onion and bell pepper in the oil about 2 to 3 minutes; add the corned beef and combine with the onion and peppers by breaking the beef up with a wooden spoon and stirring.
- Flatten mixture evenly in the bottom of the pan, then pour the tomato sauce evenly over top; reduce heat, if needed, to prevent sauce bubbling out of the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper and other seasonings as desired, to taste (DO NOT STIR).
- Simmer, uncovered, over medium low heat, until liquid has mostly evaporated, about 15 minutes.
- Place about 1 cup of rice on each of 4 serving dishes, then divide beef mixture into 4 and use a spatula to place each portion on top of the rice.
We enjoyed this for dinner tonight. We had not tried canned corned beef before. This was very easy to make. I ended up adding more seasoning, and quite a bit more cayenne, so it was spicy. Next time I would add more bell pepper, it was very sweet and tasty in this recipe! ZWT7 - Shady Ladies
This is real close to getting 5 stars. I just think it needs some tweaking! I followed the recipe exactly. In the future and I will prepare this again, I will definitely use more seasoning especially the chili pepper and cayenne pepper. It just might be my preference, I just think it need more than just a "dash". Also, another note, it took almost 25 minutes on medium heat to where the liquid had evaporated. Great easy to make dinner that's for sure. Made for ZWT7 and the Saucy Silverodes.